Harvey Goodman relocated to St. Clairsville, Ohio in the mid-40's and became partner with William Kennard in Richland Motor Company. After originally moving from Akron, Ohio, with his wife Isabelle, daughter Reynette, and son John they had moved to Wheeling, for a short time, where he was employed as used car sales manager at Seabright Motors. Harvey soon acquired the entire business of Richland Motor and operated it at 190 West Main St., St. Clairsville, Ohio until 1956 when he sold this business to concentrate on real estate and home building in the St. Clairsville Real Estate market.
The Goodmans were active in community life and helped spearhead the St. Clairsville Memorial Park in 1951. In the early 1950's, Harvey Goodman saw a need and had the vision to purchase property and began building homes. His long-time secretary, Rosina Mills, continued into this new endeavor and contributed to the success of the newly formed company -- Harvey Goodman Realtor.
Now a second generation business, the company is owned and operated by his son John H. Goodman II.
With a dedication to "Positively Outrageous Service", Harvey Goodman Realtor is positioned to carry on in the way that the Harvey Goodman intended. You can count on receiving the expertise that has made us the largest in the area.
In 1957, Harvey Goodman, Inc. was founded for the purpose of land development and new home construction. The Company expanded rapidly. Harvey Goodman Realtor, which is the real estate brokerage, was established. Harvey Goodman was the broker and Rosina Mills was the first salesperson. The office started in a small mobile office located in the first subdivision of Hillview Heights. They quickly outgrew this and moved into a larger mobile office located at the intersection of Johnet Drive and Harbel Drive in St. Clairsville, Ohio.
In 1961, Goodman constructed his permanent office building located at Main Street and Johnet Drive in St. Clairsville, Ohio. Pat Bruhn joined the Goodman team in 1962 as bookkeeper and has continued with the company and now holds the position of Sales Manager.
Harvey Goodman Realtor is dedicated to the effort of working with customers and clients in their selling and purchasing of homes. The staff and salespeople devote their time to make this endeavor a pleasant and rewarding transaction. There have been many individuals associated with the Goodman's over the past 40 years and every year the quality of service improves. We are happy to have hundreds of satisfied customers and Harvey Goodman Realtor has always enjoyed the highest market share in the area.
The first venture was the purchase of a 90-acre farm on West Main Street in St. Clairsville, Ohio. This became the basis of the Hillview Heights development. From this endeavor, several new streets sprang forth and St. Clairsville began its steady, strong growth.
Streets in this first development included Hutchinson, Sunset, Johnet, Iona, Circle, Harbel, Coroline, Gaywood, Overlook, and Patti Drives.
At the same time, Goodman purchased land on the north side of the city, developing Valeview Additions I, II, and III. By this time, his son John had graduated from college and played an active role in the development and construction. Streets emerging on the north side of town included Crisswill, Willinda, Greentree and Millrose.
As the business prospered, new developments continued. To the South of town, home buyers saw the emergence of Silver Maple Estates on Graham Road and Anna and Roberto Drives in Oakview Addition. Today, the company's progress continues. Valeview Addition IV, a planned development of the upper-end homes has emerged with the construction of streets and the installment of underground utilities.
During the past 40 years, Harvey Goodman Realtor has constructed well over 300 homes and apartment buildings and St. Clairsville has blossomed into a highly desirable residential community. The efforts of the Harvey Goodman Realtor brokerage and Goodman Group, Inc., have had a positive input on the quality of housing and the desirability of the St. Clairsville community.